The law firm was founded in 1931 by the chemist Dr.-Ing. Robert Poschenrieder. After having been admitted as a German patent attorney, he opened his practice in Berlin, the seat of the German Patent Office („Reichspatentamt“).
During the Second World War, his office was destroyed, which made him leave for Munich, where his parents were living. He opened a new office there, in Lucile-Grahn-Straße, next to the Prinzregententheater, a very famous Munich playhouse. This proved to be a clever move since the German Patent Office opened in Munich in 1949. In the 1950s Poschenrieder expanded his practice and hired a number of qualified staff, inter alia Dr.-Ing. Elisabeth Boettner, his future partner. The firm was also active in the training of IP paralegals and patent attorneys, one of them being the future partner Dr. Dipl.-Chem Gerhard D. Schupfner.In 1963, Dr. Ing. Elisabeth Boettner became a partner, concentrating mainly on the field of chemistry.
In 1966, Dipl.-Ing. Hans-Jürgen Müller left the IP department of Siemens to join the firm and in 1968 he was made partner and took charge of the technical department.
In 1972, after Robert Poschenrieder’s death, Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Berendt joined the firm as a further partner, while Elisabeth Boettner retired in 1975.
1981 marked a further step in the development of the firm – the partners decided to go separate ways. A large part of the clients continued their cooperation with Hans-Jürgen Müller. At the same time, Dr. Dipl.-Chem. Gerhard D. Schupfner, formerly head of the IP department of Deutsche Texaco AG, joined the firm and opened an office in Buchholz, south of Hamburg. At the same time, Dipl.-Ing. Hans Peter Gauger, a specialist in the field of engines and mechanical engineering, merged his practice with the firm of Hans-Jürgen Müller. In 1981, the 50th anniversary was celebrated under the name Müller, Schupfner & Gauger.
During the past decades, both the Munich office and the Northern German office have successfully developed:
In 1998/1999, the sons of the eponymous partners, Dr. Dipl.-Chem. Georg U. Schupfner and Dipl.-Ing. F. Peter Müller joined the firm as partners. Also since 1998, Dr.-Ing. Franz-Josef Fuchs, who had for many years headed the Siemens IP department for the Central Divisions of Siemens AG, has been acting as an advisor for Müller Schupfner. After Hans-Peter Gauger retired in 2004, the Munich office relocated to Bavariaring 11 – near to the Bavaria monument and the new buildings of the European Patent Office.
Dr. Reta Schinkel, M.A. (Cantab), and Dipl.-Ing. Clemens P. Bauer joined the firm in 2004 and 2007 and became partners in 2006 and 2008, respectively. In 2007, the firm celebrated its 75th anniversary. In the same year, Hans-Jürgen Müller decided to continue his work as counsel. In 2011, Gerhard Schupfner passed away. Also in 2011, the northern part of the firm moved into new offices in Hamburg by the Harburg Inner Harbour.
Since 2005, the firm has further expanded its business and size, engaged attorneys at law and became a full service IP practice. Ever since, Müller Schupfner & Partner has been able to represent their clients in all matters of Intellectual Property with a global focus.